**PROBLEM FOUND**Corrupted saved game files?

Support for all Celsius Game Studios games.

Re: Corrupted saved game files?

Postby jmwiedeman » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:31 pm

As an aside, beginning today, I get all kinds of pop ups and redirects when I click on links to the forums and what not on this site. This is only happening on this site. I thought you might like to know.
jmwiedeman

Postby CGSColin » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:33 pm

jmwiedeman wrote:As an aside, beginning today, I get all kinds of pop ups and redirects when I click on links to the forums and what not on this site. This is only happening on this site. I thought you might like to know.

That's weird. Can you give me an example of some links that do this? I'm not seeing anything strange on my end.
CGSColin

Postby jmwiedeman » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:05 am

Okay I've emailed a newly corrupted saved game. Once again, if I try to resume the game from the initial menu or try to load it once in game, the game freezes. If I press escape the game then crashes to desktop. Windows says the game has stopped responding unexpectedly and wants to let Microsoft know about it which I duly refuse.

This happens pretty regularly, this is the 4th time for me, and I bought the game less than a week ago. I do understand it is in beta, but even so, it is frustrating enough to make me consider giving up. At this point I feel as though the higher priced ships and equipment are out of reach because of this issue.

Regarding the website issue I mentioned, that was on my end, but it curiously only affected this website.
jmwiedeman

Postby CGSColin » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:20 am

jmwiedeman wrote:Okay I've emailed a newly corrupted saved game. Once again, if I try to resume the game from the initial menu or try to load it once in game, the game freezes. If I press escape the game then crashes to desktop. Windows says the game has stopped responding unexpectedly and wants to let Microsoft know about it which I duly refuse.

This happens pretty regularly, this is the 4th time for me, and I bought the game less than a week ago. I do understand it is in beta, but even so, it is frustrating enough to make me consider giving up. At this point I feel as though the higher priced ships and equipment are out of reach because of this issue.

Regarding the website issue I mentioned, that was on my end, but it curiously only affected this website.

I have just had a quick look at the save you sent and as far as I can tell the save itself isn't getting corrupted but obviously there's a bug of some sort that's causing it to crash on your system on load. It's late tonight but I'll try and do some more in depth investigation tomorrow to try and get to the bottom of whatever is going on. In the meantime if you get a chance it would be useful to know what sort of video card your system has. Also when the game crashes if you could get the last few lines of text in the debug window it might be useful.
CGSColin

Postby jmwiedeman » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:30 pm

Ok, I've sent a new email with a screenshot of the debug window that shows a bunch of "blob" errors as it tries to load the same (I assume).

My graphics card is a Nvidia GTS 560Ti, I am running latest drivers.

Thanks for looking into this problem, your support is certainly well appreciated.
jmwiedeman

Postby CGSColin » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:31 pm

jmwiedeman wrote:Ok, I've sent a new email with a screenshot of the debug window that shows a bunch of "blob" errors as it tries to load the same (I assume).

My graphics card is a Nvidia GTS 560Ti, I am running latest drivers.

Thanks for looking into this problem, your support is certainly well appreciated.

I believe I've discovered the problem! It appears that there's a bug in the save code when you have your ship name set but when it loads it causes a memory error. I should have caught this earlier but for whatever reason it wasn't happening when I was running Drifter from Visual Studio, just the standalone .exe is crashing.

So to prevent this from happening again until I can get a new build out, just refrain from naming your ship. I'm going to send along a fixed save with a blank ship name via. email and you should be able to continue your game from there :)
CGSColin

Postby jmwiedeman » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:01 am

You rock! Thanks!
jmwiedeman

Previous

Return to Support