A couple of questions before buying :)

Drifter is Celsius' in-development Space Trading game. Take part in the discussion about the game and its development here!

A couple of questions before buying :)

Postby Apollo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:09 am

Hi guys,

Great work on Drifter! It's looking incredible so far. I've been longing for a great cross-platform (desktop+mobile) space trader for ages and this looks like it could fill the void. I also used to play Eve a lot, and to a large extent I tend to use that as the benchmark for space trading games.

With that in mind, I've got a couple of questions about Drifter. First, is there currently, or will there ever be, MMO features? I did check the roadmap and couldn't see anything about this, but thought it might be worth asking. Second, is there an skill training in Drifter? This was a really nice feature of Eve which emphasised the character delopement side of it. Finally, what is the situation with character death in Drifter? The clone mechanism in Eve works well and ensures there are consequences to death without permadeath. Obviously this is less important if the game isn't online, as permadeath is ok for a single player game when you can reload your save.

Thanks in advance for answering these questions, and congrats again on the great work!
Apollo

Re: A couple of questions before buying :)

Postby CGSColin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:40 am

Apollo wrote:Hi guys,

Great work on Drifter! It's looking incredible so far. I've been longing for a great cross-platform (desktop+mobile) space trader for ages and this looks like it could fill the void. I also used to play Eve a lot, and to a large extent I tend to use that as the benchmark for space trading games.

With that in mind, I've got a couple of questions about Drifter. First, is there currently, or will there ever be, MMO features? I did check the roadmap and couldn't see anything about this, but thought it might be worth asking. Second, is there an skill training in Drifter? This was a really nice feature of Eve which emphasised the character delopement side of it. Finally, what is the situation with character death in Drifter? The clone mechanism in Eve works well and ensures there are consequences to death without permadeath. Obviously this is less important if the game isn't online, as permadeath is ok for a single player game when you can reload your save.

Thanks in advance for answering these questions, and congrats again on the great work!

Hey! Thanks for the nice comments :)

1) No MMO features. Drifter is pretty strictly a single-player only experience.
2) There aren't skills in Drifter currently but we are currently working on implementing a skill tree which will be added in the next month or two, pre-1.0.
3) There is an escape pod mechanism, which will come into play more when we implement a hardcore "permadeath" mode which basically prevents you from reloading, but in the normal game you can just reload from your last save, as you suggest :)

Hope that answers your questions.
CGSColin

Re: A couple of questions before buying :)

Postby Apollo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:18 pm

Thanks CGSColin. I've actually been playing a 2D offline space trading game (a remake of EV:Nova) and have been really enjoying it. I think for me the online play is less important than an immersive in-game universe. Great to know that a skills tree is in the works!

Would you mind if I made a request regarding the permadeath mode? If it truly is permadeath, in that you cannot reload at all and it's completely game over, then this would be great for some players, but I'm wondering whether there's the possibility of a third death option.

The problem with true permadeath is, clearly, that you can lose everything permanently. However, the problem with being allowed to reload is that it's too tempting to reload and undo mistakes. Furthermore, reloading if you die means you get everything back (ship, cargo etc.) with no consequences to the player, making it very unrealistic.

My suggestion is a mode in which the game cannot be reloaded, but the escape pod launches automatically on ship destruction, and the pod itself is indestructible. This would mean there are real consequences to loss of a ship (i.e. that it cannot be recovered by reloading), but the player doesn't lose everything as they would in a game over situation. Ship insurance could deal with replacing the ship, or just give the player the basic model as in a new game but allow them to keep their character, skills, credits, items in stations etc. This is similar to the mechanism in Eve, with the exception that the pod in Eve is destructible and results in the awakening of the player's clone and potential loss of skill training (the clone has to be upgraded to allow them to retain more skill points on awakening if the player dies).

I hope you don't mind me making this suggestion and hope you'll consider it. Anyway, I'm really excited about the skills tree being implemented - this is the main thing that was holding me back from buying. So I've just purchased and am downloading now :D
Apollo

Return to Drifter