It's Broken! Bug list (known and new)

Drifter is Celsius' in-development Space Trading game. Take part in the discussion about the game and its development here!

Re: It's Broken! Bug list (known and new)

Postby Makenga » Mon May 29, 2017 7:17 pm

Hi Colin,
I bought the game about 18 months ago and have been eagerly following it's development. I've finally decided the game looks close enough to done to give it ago. I am having some difficulties though:

I'm playing on a mac and the game has a tendency to crash on me. It seems to crash mostly when jumping systems or loading save games.

I suspect you may want some more information to assist with this but I have no idea what so please let me know if you need to know anything else.

Any assistance you can give me with this is greatly appreciated.
Makenga

Postby CGSColin » Mon May 29, 2017 8:16 pm

Makenga wrote:Hi Colin,
I bought the game about 18 months ago and have been eagerly following it's development. I've finally decided the game looks close enough to done to give it ago. I am having some difficulties though:

I'm playing on a mac and the game has a tendency to crash on me. It seems to crash mostly when jumping systems or loading save games.

I suspect you may want some more information to assist with this but I have no idea what so please let me know if you need to know anything else.

Any assistance you can give me with this is greatly appreciated.

Just letting you know I responded to your post over on the Steam forums :)
CGSColin

Postby CDarklock » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:47 pm

I get no sound in windowed mode, but sound works fine in full-screen mode.

Controller support is a bit clunky, primarily because I don't have a sensitivity control. When it's controlling the little bullseye cursor, the speed is frustratingly slow and can really ruin the pacing of the game. When it's controlling the ship, it's too twitchy and sensitive so it looks like my pilot's on meth. If I want to turn just a little to the left, I have to turn a lot to the left and then a lot to the right over and over, until I'm pointed in the desired direction. Most games have a little slider you can drag around to set sensitivity, but in this case it looks like you're going to need two of them because one setting is not going to work for both situations.

Most importantly, I keep getting stack overflows in unprotected Lua API calls when I'm in the galaxy map. A few minutes ago, I was trying to find the system I'm supposed to visit for this mission I'm on, but it's a string of random characters four screens away from the map, so I have to open it and search and find nothing and go back to the message screen to see where i was supposed to go again. Eventually, I find the M-X2G system and plot a course, which is fourteen jumps long. Now I want to check the various systems on the way there, and make sure I'm prepared for the safety levels I'll be seeing, but when I try to zoom in on the map the game freezes and crashes.

I've looked for a crash log, but there doesn't seem to be anything meaningful in Documents/My Games/Drifter, steamapps/common/Drifter, or anywhere in the AppData folders. There's only an 18-line Drifter.log file that ends with "HUD initialized" and that doesn't appear relevant.

This game is awesome when I don't have to use the galaxy map very much or very long. But whenever I try to do anything involving actual large-scale travel or exploration, I crash to the desktop. So I'm spending way too much time saving and restarting and it ends up not being very fun at all, so after about 20 minutes of play I end up wandering off and playing something else.
CDarklock

Postby CGSColin » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:56 am

CDarklock wrote:I get no sound in windowed mode, but sound works fine in full-screen mode.

Controller support is a bit clunky, primarily because I don't have a sensitivity control. When it's controlling the little bullseye cursor, the speed is frustratingly slow and can really ruin the pacing of the game. When it's controlling the ship, it's too twitchy and sensitive so it looks like my pilot's on meth. If I want to turn just a little to the left, I have to turn a lot to the left and then a lot to the right over and over, until I'm pointed in the desired direction. Most games have a little slider you can drag around to set sensitivity, but in this case it looks like you're going to need two of them because one setting is not going to work for both situations.

Most importantly, I keep getting stack overflows in unprotected Lua API calls when I'm in the galaxy map. A few minutes ago, I was trying to find the system I'm supposed to visit for this mission I'm on, but it's a string of random characters four screens away from the map, so I have to open it and search and find nothing and go back to the message screen to see where i was supposed to go again. Eventually, I find the M-X2G system and plot a course, which is fourteen jumps long. Now I want to check the various systems on the way there, and make sure I'm prepared for the safety levels I'll be seeing, but when I try to zoom in on the map the game freezes and crashes.

I've looked for a crash log, but there doesn't seem to be anything meaningful in Documents/My Games/Drifter, steamapps/common/Drifter, or anywhere in the AppData folders. There's only an 18-line Drifter.log file that ends with "HUD initialized" and that doesn't appear relevant.

This game is awesome when I don't have to use the galaxy map very much or very long. But whenever I try to do anything involving actual large-scale travel or exploration, I crash to the desktop. So I'm spending way too much time saving and restarting and it ends up not being very fun at all, so after about 20 minutes of play I end up wandering off and playing something else.

Hey! I'm actually in the process of attempting to track down this Lua bug. Hoping the next build will solve it.

For the controller sensitivity settings I'm going to make a note to add that ASAP.

As for the sound issue you're having, that's kinda baffling. In windowed mode can you check the Windows per-app sound settings to see if maybe Drifter is muted or the volume is turned down maybe?
CGSColin

Postby CDarklock » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:01 am

CGSColin wrote:Hey! I'm actually in the process of attempting to track down this Lua bug. Hoping the next build will solve it.

I know the feeling. Heisenbugs are teh suck.

As for the sound issue you're having, that's kinda baffling. In windowed mode can you check the Windows per-app sound settings to see if maybe Drifter is muted or the volume is turned down maybe?

Well, see, once I put it in full screen mode the sound is fine. So it's not just something in the settings.

But I agree... baffling. Not a huge issue, though, since I prefer playing in full-screen anyway. Mostly a +1 for that bug in case you already have it on your plate.
CDarklock

Postby Solaxis » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:44 pm

Ok, don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the bug I have encountered basically occurs after a Hyperspace jump, and my ship starts spinning to the right, I can hold down the A key to stop it, but thats all I can do, navigation is virtually impossible. This bug seems to appear randomly however.
Solaxis

Postby CGSColin » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:26 pm

Solaxis wrote:Ok, don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the bug I have encountered basically occurs after a Hyperspace jump, and my ship starts spinning to the right, I can hold down the A key to stop it, but thats all I can do, navigation is virtually impossible. This bug seems to appear randomly however.

I'll make a note to try and see if I can duplicate and fix this bug but in the meantime try exiting and entering slipstream when this happens to see if it resets the controls.
CGSColin

Postby Solaxis » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:58 pm

CGSColin wrote:
Solaxis wrote:Ok, don't know if this has been mentioned before, but the bug I have encountered basically occurs after a Hyperspace jump, and my ship starts spinning to the right, I can hold down the A key to stop it, but thats all I can do, navigation is virtually impossible. This bug seems to appear randomly however.

I'll make a note to try and see if I can duplicate and fix this bug but in the meantime try exiting and entering slipstream when this happens to see if it resets the controls.

When it happened I tried the slipstream, and exited it, but to no avail, however entering a station does seem to help.
Solaxis

Previous

Return to Drifter