Drifter UI Thread

Drifter is Celsius' in-development Space Trading game. Take part in the discussion about the game and its development here!

Re: Drifter UI Thread

Postby megashub » Sun May 18, 2014 3:11 pm

Gn0 wrote:Keep buttons in the same place every time.
Exit, go back, cancel, X, etc.. all have to go in the same place every screen every menu, not interchange.
humans love patterns (oh shit boolybooly beat me to it)

+1 on this one.

Gn0 wrote:I rekon if you re in the spaceship navigating menus, then escaping one menu should bring you right back to flying the ship (so you can react to surprises better).

HUGE +1 on this one. I get stuck in the ol' menu feedback loop when using Escape alllllll the time. When inside a menu (like looking at your cargo holds while flying), pressing the escape key should only back you out to flying the ship. Layering the pause menu over top of a different active menu creates this 'stuck' feeling.

Gn0 wrote:Also, can I vote that we change "system map" to "local system", to help mentally differentiate "system map" from "starmap" (cos they're both star maps)

+1 here as well

Gn0 wrote:Aaaand can we filter the stockmarket (like excel filters) even just re-order via the column title.

aaand here.

Gn0 wrote:aaaaaand what sudobash said about keyboard shortcuts.

aaaaand here.

Gn0 wrote:so.. yeh. go team.

....and here.
megashub

Postby CGSColin » Sun May 18, 2014 5:09 pm

Hoping to start working on the UI Spring Cleaning starting this week!
CGSColin

Postby Curithwin » Wed May 21, 2014 6:40 am

CGSColin wrote:Hoping to start working on the UI Spring Cleaning starting this week!

Oh BOY! ;)
Curithwin

Postby Shotglass » Thu May 22, 2014 1:12 am

Good work so far on this game. I would like to touch on one item that another post touched on then make a further suggestion.

With a game like this the radials work well, another post suggested to put the price symbol right were you can get to it on the star map from the captains quarters. That is a great suggestion but I would to see a full radial menu when a planet is clicked.

Another item that would be helpful is a running history of transactions. A ledger of sorts that can be accessed from the captains quarters. That would be helpful for when those trades we think are going to make us rich and fall somewhat short of our lofty expectations.

Anyway great work. On this game, I'm dashing out the door a skipped a page brother so if these were already suggested please add me to the wish list. ;)
Shotglass

Postby dooley422 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:41 pm

one thing i like in a space game is cockpit views, soecially if they're functional,like in the case of exploration youd go to the starmap,pick a planet and click the jumpdrive button. like in flight simulator, but in space.random jumps would be another thing, cause youd issue the jumpdrive activation order and youd pop out in a random system,
dooley422

Postby 3l3phant » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:12 pm

Probably just me but I find the purchasing of good process to be overly confusing. If I buy resources (for example, the initial purchase of antimatter) is there a reason I wouldn't want it moved to my ship? Clicking through the Move to Ship/Move to Station isn't really intuitive. Is the goal of the design to have some sort of storage space on a station in case you find something at a great price?
3l3phant

Postby CGSColin » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:07 pm

3l3phant wrote:Probably just me but I find the purchasing of good process to be overly confusing. If I buy resources (for example, the initial purchase of antimatter) is there a reason I wouldn't want it moved to my ship? Clicking through the Move to Ship/Move to Station isn't really intuitive. Is the goal of the design to have some sort of storage space on a station in case you find something at a great price?

It needs refinement for sure, and it's something I'm working on, but the idea is to have station storage to act as a staging ground for your goods and equipment. If for example your current ship doesn't have enough room you can move things around to make room or switch to another ship.
CGSColin

Postby 3l3phant » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:21 pm

Ahh, got it. They should charge you a protection fee. <Monty Python>You have tanks right? I'd hate to see anything happen to them ...</Monty Python> ;)
3l3phant

Postby Curithwin » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:06 pm

3l3phant wrote:Ahh, got it. They should charge you a protection fee. <Monty Python>You have tanks right? I'd hate to see anything happen to them ...</Monty Python> ;)

That is a good idea. I like the idea of storage costs for all item kept on a station that does not belong to you. The price should be based on a % (E.G. 5%-10%) of the stations current selling price. If you can not afford to pay the station the storage fee's they will sell off the lowest cost items first to upkeep the storage. This could be done on a new screen where you can deposit funds over ansible so you do not have to keep going around station to pay for storage. Also if done OFF station there should be an admin fee (flat) to do this.
Curithwin

Previous

Return to Drifter