Drifter UI Thread

Drifter is Celsius' in-development Space Trading game. Take part in the discussion about the game and its development here!

Drifter UI Thread

Postby CGSColin » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:26 am

I wanted to share some of the UI mockups that Steve is working on occasionally so you can see what's coming in future builds. I can't say exactly when they'll be implemented right now but I think he's doing some pretty awesome work and I like teasers, so here we go :lol:

Remember though that these are mockups that have yet to be turned into functional UI in the game so they'll likely not be exactly the same once implemented. Also Steve made up a bunch of stuff in some of these just to flesh them out so don't take it to mean that a particular item or feature is or isn't going to be appearing in the game!

So first, we have a revamp of the ship fitting UI, which I personally think is light years ahead of what I have right now. I like how it lays everything out logically and it works really well for different screen sizes.

Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge

Click to Enlarge
CGSColin

Re: Drifter UI Thread

Postby steelwing » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:15 pm

Awesomeness!
steelwing

Postby Capn Tucker » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:14 pm

Looks great!
Capn Tucker

Postby DoCDoC » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:55 pm

This UI looks great I also like that its a bit of a sneak peak at the modules , Cargo capacity enhancer is a 10% boost nice. Oh and is that a cloaking device I see. :shock: :D
DoCDoC

Postby empath » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:38 am

These ideas for the UI have a nice 'look' to them; I'd have a better idea if they were functional, but hey - there's only so much one can do. :)

Oh, and y'all might not want to get your hopes up without reading Colin's FULL POST:

... Also Steve made up a bunch of stuff in some of these just to flesh them out so don't take it to mean that a particular item or feature is or isn't going to be appearing in the game!
Noli nothis permittere te terere.
empath

Postby Yaiven » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:52 pm

Yeah, I didn't think the BFG was going to be a weapon, but you never know!
Yaiven

Postby stevecourtney » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:32 am

Yeah I just made up a bunch of stuff to fill in the blanks. These mockups are to get a feel for how the screen could function, so sometimes I need to throw some content in there that doesn't exist yet just to flesh out a particular feature.
You can see where I forgot to change some of the text in the weapons list which is why the Plasma Cannon says Damage: 90%. I promise I'm a trained professional.
stevecourtney

Postby megashub » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:48 pm

Hi all,

I'd like to request some very basic tool tips make their way into the UI, even if it's just super basic stuff that can stand in for a fully upgraded UI later on down the line.

Right now, as I can only casually mess around with the builds as they come out, I find myself having to refer to the cheat sheet email from a while back before I can effectively use the star map (for instance).

Perhaps just a question-mark hotkey to pull up a help screen in the various interfaces and while generally flying around in the HUD.

Hopefully that should require the absolute minimum amount of labor to add some basic help dialogs, until the larger UI revamp can happen later down the road.

Thoughts?
megashub

Postby _discovery » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:46 pm

Just a note on tooltips, these work well on mouse (hover) but not on touchscreen, at all, ever. There is no hover concept on a touch device (I am sure you are aware) :)

Designing any UI around the concept of a tooltip at its core, is not ideal.
_discovery

Postby matthewfarmery » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:43 pm

love the UI so far, keep up the great work,
matthewfarmery

Next

Return to Drifter