Drifter 0.7.0 is out!

Drifter is Celsius' in-development Space Trading game. Take part in the discussion about the game and its development here!

Drifter 0.7.0 is out!

Postby CGSColin » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:34 pm

Drifter 0.7.0 is now live on Humble as well as Steam! This is the first release in the 0.7.x series, codename "Defiant".

Because I’m going to be in Seattle next week for Steam Dev Days I really didn’t want to delay updates any further so I decided to go ahead release 0.7.0! We managed to get the bulk of the initial 0.7.0 update done and Material Synthesis is about 90% of the way there. So the plan is for me to complete Material Synthesis and add it in 0.7.1 in 1-2 weeks time after I get back. In the meantime there’s a ton of new stuff in 0.7.0 and the game is looking amazing, even if I do say so myself.

We’ve spent a lot of time filing down rough edges and generally polishing the game to where we’re very happy with how it looks and feels. There’s still some work to be done but it’s much closer to feeling “done” as of 0.7.0. In addition to an all new starfield background we’ve improved the look and feel of the UI in a number of areas, station interiors are now more interactive and all of the current items and equipment in the game now have icons. That said, the full list of what’s new and improved is below!

One big change I feel is important to note is I removed the old controller UI interaction system as I was never particularly happy with it and it was proving to be difficult to maintain. So going forward the controller will use what I’m calling a “joypointer” where the left analog stick moves a virtual pointer. Pressing the “GUI Accept” button will click buttons and holding it will let you drag things like lists and sliders. Also if you press the “GUI Cancel” button it will allow you to quickly leave station areas and close menus instead of hunting for the close button. It’s still not 100% where it needs to be but it already works a lot better than the old system and we’ll be improving it in the coming weeks.

WHAT'S NEW

• New trailer and screenshots
  • New (much better) starfield background
  • New UI and HUD color scheme and fonts
  • New ship radial menu colors and design
  • New ship radial menu icons for jump, stop, system, dock
  • New “joypointer” for better controller UI interaction
  • New integrated UI for Station interiors
  • New interior for material synthesis
  • New interior transitions with fades and audio
  • New docking sequence including docking animation
  • New fade transition on undocking, and rotating stars in bay
  • Player now lands in docking bay instead of the station hub
  • Player ship now docked in docking bay, with idle animation
  • Improved Odyssey model and texture
  • Improved pilot quarters and docking bay interior
  • Improved main and pause menu design
  • Improved station info bar
  • Improved item detail popover
  • Improved ship info block in Docking Bay
  • Improved sliders ui with a border
  • Improved ship display size in Ship Market and Ship Fitting
  • Improved star halo
  • Added comma separators to ship equipment amounts and prices in market
  • Added item detail popup for remote market view
  • Added Star halos and planetary atmosphere in system map
  • All current equipment and item icons are complete!
    • All existing icons polished up
    • 17 new icons
      • Antimatter, Trilumin, Fusion Reactors, Chemical Processors
      • Mining Laser, Particle Beam, Gamma Beam, Neutron Lancer
      • Industrial Robots, Iron, Molybdenum, Adamantine
      • Station, Colony and Ship Components
      • Farm Animals, Domestic Animals
[*] Implemented 99% of Material Synthesis functionality and UI 0.7.x weekly builds will contain usable implementation
[/list]
BUGS FIXED
  • Fixed memory leak in scene system
  • Fixed Rogue Librarian mission being incompletable

CGSColin

Re: Drifter 0.7.0 is out!

Postby saljh00n » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:14 pm

Hello developer, hello fellow Drifter players!

Hope I'm posting in right thread. If otherwise, please excuse me. It's my first time here. I'm not gonna write complete review, I intend to do that on game's store page on Steam in couple of days. For now - I cannot thank you enough for making this game. It literally cemented me down on my chair for 2 straight days and I'll probably stay like that for a very, very, VERY long time. Although it's simple in it's core, I feel happier playing it than I felt in years of playing games. It's just wonderful. But like I said, I'll leave full review in couple of days or more on Steam's page. I have some questions:

1. I've wandered into a bunch of 0% safety, Low-Tech systems to hunt down some pirates, got meself long range scanner on the way, couple of gamma beams and away I went. I've only been able to find one heavy-red star system that had a station in it and had Low-Tech description with 0% safety. It seems that no other red marked system has a station. Now I assume it's because that Low-Tech level. I wonder, do these station-less systems get any stations as you progress in game? Is it a subject of how many bad guys do I blast into smitherness, so civilian ships would go in these star systems more?

2. Does bounties increase, as you progress deeper into Space? So far, I've been able to find guys with mostly 17k on their heads, and I've almost got killed in next system, where bastards had 19k of bounty and helluva lot firepower than me. Do you get to find even more evil people in uncharted territories?

3. On my way to become Glorious Master of My Own Little Procedurally Generated Universe, I've stumbled upon a pirate, who upon killing dropped me that Dark Core Engine, (not sure if this is real name, probably isn't) one that's worth a fortune and a half, like 1,350,000 credits, if my assumptions are correct. Naturally, I flew to nearest station and checked, if I can install this beast in my starter ship. Turns out, I cannot. Thing is however, this engine has 850k selling price. I didn't found any information regarding equipment on Wiki page for the game, so I'm asking here - Is it worth if I keep this thing locked in my station locker and use it later in game, when I got myself a better ship, or is it better to just sell it to that local wealthy dealer, who seems to have infinite amount of credits and buys equipment off your hands for 25% less than you paid for it? What does this engine actually do? :)

Again, if this ain't right thread, please forgive me and point me to the right one. In case it's right one, thanks for answers in advance! :)
saljh00n

Re: Drifter 0.7.0 is out!

Postby CGSColin » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:40 pm

Hey! This is as good a place as any to post :)

saljh00n wrote:Hello developer, hello fellow Drifter players!

Hope I'm posting in right thread. If otherwise, please excuse me. It's my first time here. I'm not gonna write complete review, I intend to do that on game's store page on Steam in couple of days. For now - I cannot thank you enough for making this game. It literally cemented me down on my chair for 2 straight days and I'll probably stay like that for a very, very, VERY long time. Although it's simple in it's core, I feel happier playing it than I felt in years of playing games. It's just wonderful. But like I said, I'll leave full review in couple of days or more on Steam's page. I have some questions:

1. I've wandered into a bunch of 0% safety, Low-Tech systems to hunt down some pirates, got meself long range scanner on the way, couple of gamma beams and away I went. I've only been able to find one heavy-red star system that had a station in it and had Low-Tech description with 0% safety. It seems that no other red marked system has a station. Now I assume it's because that Low-Tech level. I wonder, do these station-less systems get any stations as you progress in game? Is it a subject of how many bad guys do I blast into smitherness, so civilian ships would go in these star systems more?

Basically the 0% safety systems are 0% because they're completely uninhabited (which also extends to pirates). Basically the very low but not completely 0% safety systems are all on the edge of inhabited space. That said, I'll be tweaking the galaxy generation code soon when I add factions and faction standing which will hopefully lead to some more variation.

2. Does bounties increase, as you progress deeper into Space? So far, I've been able to find guys with mostly 17k on their heads, and I've almost got killed in next system, where bastards had 19k of bounty and helluva lot firepower than me. Do you get to find even more evil people in uncharted territories?

Bounties are based on system safety rating moreso than the threat posed by the enemy itself, which is not really great I will admit. Having a better range of bounties based on absolute difficulty is on my list though.

3. On my way to become Glorious Master of My Own Little Procedurally Generated Universe, I've stumbled upon a pirate, who upon killing dropped me that Dark Core Engine, (not sure if this is real name, probably isn't) one that's worth a fortune and a half, like 1,350,000 credits, if my assumptions are correct. Naturally, I flew to nearest station and checked, if I can install this beast in my starter ship. Turns out, I cannot. Thing is however, this engine has 850k selling price. I didn't found any information regarding equipment on Wiki page for the game, so I'm asking here - Is it worth if I keep this thing locked in my station locker and use it later in game, when I got myself a better ship, or is it better to just sell it to that local wealthy dealer, who seems to have infinite amount of credits and buys equipment off your hands for 25% less than you paid for it? What does this engine actually do? :)

Again, if this ain't right thread, please forgive me and point me to the right one. In case it's right one, thanks for answers in advance! :)

You should be able to equip the Dark Matter Reactor to any ship. It has to be in your station storage in order to equip it.

Hope that helps!
CGSColin

Return to Drifter