Drifter 0.2.x Release Notes
This is an archive of the release notes for Drifter 0.2.x (code name "Talkie Toaster").
0.2.x introduces Missions which the player can take on to earn credits. There are a number of mission types implemented at the moment (Retrieval, Contract/Assassination, System Patrol, Delivery) along with a few variations of each mission type. Visit the Mission Office when you're docked with a Station to see the missions available from that particular system.
As well, there are a number of improvements and bug fixes from 0.1.2 most notably the fix of a number of bugs which caused instability with savegames and crashing upon ship destruction.
- Slipstream is now toggled by pressing z, you no longer have to hold the key down
- 0.2.0 is not savegame compatible with previous versions
- 0.2.1 fixes an issue with the waypoint manager that causes save file corruption. It should fix any 0.2.0 save files that were affected by this bug
- 0.2.1 fixes an issue with the nebula system that would cause a crash when jumping to a small number of star systems
- 0.2.2 introduces galaxy map jump routes
- 0.2.2 introduces Linux support
- 0.2.2 introduces fullscreen support (enabled by editing Drifter.prefs)
- Galaxy map panning has been improved for 0.2.2
- As of version 0.2.2 you can quit the game from within the pause menu
- As of version 0.2.2 you can interrupt the undocking cutscene that plays whenever you undock
- Galaxy cache creation time has been dramatically reduced for 0.2.2
The following list of bugs/incorrect behavior is known to exist in the current build. Below that is a list of bugs that are known and have been fixed for the next build.
Please report any bugs you encounter that haven't been noted here either via. the Drifter Backer Forums or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Known Unfixed Bugs
- Occasional OpenAL (music) instability. This can usually be "reset" by changing systems or docking at a station.
- The game does not end when your pod is destroyed.
- Damaged ships sell for the full price of a new ship.
- Saving inside stations still does not work properly.
Known Fixed Bugs
- A crash that occasionally happens upon player destruction has been fixed. Fixed for 0.2.2.
- The music decoding thread was using excessive CPU resources. Fixed for 0.2.2.
- The Available Missions page sometimes shows the last completed mission. Attempting to accept the mission a second time causes a crash. This has been fixed for 0.2.2.
- Sometimes it takes a long time to undock from a station because the station's traffic control system gets overwhelmed with docking and undocking requests from NPCs. The player should always have priority when undocking. This has been adjusted for 0.2.2.
- The Linux version of the game was dynamically linked to libGLEW 1.6 but apparently that version of the library is not available on all distributions. If you get an error complaining about libglew I've posted copies of the binaries that are statically linked here: http://celsiusgs.com/drifter/Drifter-Static-GLEW.tar.gz.
- The 32 bit Linux version of the game has a problem that causes it to crash immediately upon startup that has been fixed and included in the previously mentioned tarball here http://celsiusgs.com/drifter/Drifter-Static-GLEW.tar.gz. If you've run the 32 bit version and gotten a crash you must delete starmap.dat in the Drifter config folder in $HOME/.config/Drifter or $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/Drifter before running the fixed binary.
- Docking with movement controls active would cause the ship to not undock properly. This has been fixed for the next build.
- Slipstream state is preserved through jumps; it should be set to off after jumping. This has been fixed for the next build.
- A problem with galaxy map jump routes occasionally resulted in a non-existent system being selected after jumping. This has been fixed for the next build.
- Marking missions complete in the order that they appear in the Active Mission List can corrupt the data in missions that appear further down the list causing a crash. Marking missions complete in the order opposite that they appear in the list should avoid this. This has been fixed for the next build.
This is a list of features that are being implemented for the next build.